Wednesday, May 16, 2012

The Mommy Wars?

So, the media loves to get us all riled up, right? They like to pit moms against one another, because they really don't support any of us when it comes down to it.

Last week attachment parenting and extended nursing mothers were attacked. Next week stay at home moms will be attacked. At another time formula feeding moms will be attacked. Then working moms, and the list goes on.  And the current group of moms getting attacked goes on the defense (myself included) to correct misinformation and ignorance with the hopes of possibly changing the perspective of just a few individuals.

Now, I have been pretty outspoken here on my blog that I am not a fan of Babywise and that I am a big fan of breastfeeding. This doesn't mean that if you are a Babywise mom that we can't be friends. It does mean that we will have to agree to disagree on many things and just may not want to talk about certain subjects, but we can still be friends. My very best friend and I are very different in our parenting styles, but at the end of the day we just want what is best for our kids and our family. Period. I might believe and science might prove that in many ways "breast is best", but a small percentage of women may find themselves in a situation where they can't breastfeed. Another group of women may choose not to nurse at all, and while I disagree with this decision, it is each mama's choice to decide what is best for her and her baby/family.

When I proudly post that my baby and I are still going strong after nursing for 24 months I am not slamming those of you mamas who never nursed or those who stopped at 2 or 8 months. I am not trying to start a Mommy War. I am simply posting information to correct the misinformation that is currently circulating about breastfeeding, extended breastfeeding, and attachment parenting. Time made a joke of attachment parenting, and the Today show and the View followed suit. These sort of attacks by the media infuriate me. Some mamas choose to put their babies in a crib from day one, never babywear, and never breastfeed and that is their choice. It is also the choice of mamas to co-sleep, babywear and nurse through toddlerhood.  Or whatever else.

We are all trying to do the best we can as mamas. Our parenting styles, life situations, and family dynamics may be different, but I am convinced that most mamas just want to do what is best with the cards they have been dealt.

So, can we make a deal here? Can we agree to disagree? And can we politely discuss parenting issues without thinking mamas on either side are trying to start a Mommy War?

And yes, we can still be friends if you Babywise or don't breastfeed. (not saying the two are related)

No comments:

Post a Comment