Sunday, January 11, 2015

Hymn Study using Spotify




If you're looking for a Hymn Study you've come to the right place. Whether you plan to home school or after school or just need some tools for teaching great hymns to your kids, an organized plan for a hymn study is very helpful.  Or if you just enjoy listening to great hymns you will find my spotify channels wonderful!

We plan to use a mix of classical and Charlotte Mason style homeschooling. Charlotte Mason was BIG on hymn study, but even before we stumbled upon the amazingness of Charlotte Mason, I was convinced to teach my kids hymns, because hymns are absolutely rich and full of theology and I love them! Really, I would much prefer to sing hymns any day, than some of the shallow, repetitive lyrics that are modern day worship songs, but I digress...

Below you will find my complete list of Hymns for 6 Hymn Cycles. We will repeat the cycles until all the kids have graduated or left home. I also have a corresponding spotify playlist for each one, as well as a spotify playlist with all hymns. Feel free to use whatever is helpful to you!!!  We plan on doing a hymn study as part of our Sunday night family devotions, along with the New City Catechism and a Missions Moment. 

You can follow my pinterest board: http://www.pinterest.com/chalbond/hymn-study/

Here are some good hymn sites for further information on each hymn:
http://www.popularhymns.com/
http://www.hymnary.org/
http://www.songsandhymns.org/hymns/

Here is my Spotify:http://open.spotify.com/user/12171574112

With No Further Ado, I present to you Hymns Cycles 1-6
Songs with asterisks are shorter "kid" songs that can be memorized the same month as another hymn. I left a month free for Christmas carols and for Lent and Resurrection hymns for you to choose yourself. There are also two open slots in Cycle 5 and Cycle 6 for 2 more hymns. I hope this is helpful to you! 

Hymns All Cycles

Hymn Cycle 1
  1. Holy, Holy, Holy
  2. All Creatures of Our God and King
  3. Jesus Paid it All
  4. My Jesus I Love Thee & Jesus Loves Me*
  5. Take My Life and Let it Be
  6. Come Ye Sinners, Poor and Needy
  7. Solid Rock
  8. I Need Thee Every Hour
  9. Jesus Loves the Little Children*
  10. Satisfied
  11. Christmas Carols
  12. Lent Hymns



Hymn Cycle 2
  1. Joyful Joyful We Adore Thee
  2. Nothing But the Blood
  3. O How I love Jesus & Amazing Grace*
  4. Jesus Keep Me Near the Cross
  5. Dear Refuge of My Weary Soul
  6. Because He Lives
  7. How Sweet The Name
  8. Arise My Soul
  9. How Deep The father’s Love
  10. Day by Day
  11. Christmas Carols
  12. Lent Hymns


Hymn Cycle 3
  1. A Mighty Fortress
  2. Be Thou My Vision
  3. There is a Fountain
  4. What a Friend We Have in Jesus & I’ve Got Peace*
  5. Glorify Thy Name
  6. O the Deep Deep Love
  7. When We All Get to Heaven
  8. Jesus Lover of My Soul
  9. Be Still My Soul
  10. His Eye is on the Sparrow
  11. Christmas Carols
  12. Lent Hymns



Hymn Cycle 4
  1. How Great Thou Art
  2. Savior Like a Shepherd
  3. When I Survey the Wondrous Cross
  4. Praise God From Whom All Blessings Flow
  5. Just as I am & This is the Day*
  6. How Firm a Foundation
  7. It Is Well
  8. On Jordan’s Stormy Banks
  9. Victory in Jesus & What Can I give Him*
  10. I’ll Fly Away
  11. Christmas Carols
  12. Lent Hymns


Hymn Cycle 5
  1. Come Thou Fount
  2. There is Power in the Blood
  3. O How He Loves you and Me
  4. All Hail the Power of Jesus Name
  5. I Surrender All
  6. Out of My Bondage, Sorrow, and Night
  7. The Lord’s Prayer* & He’s Got the Whole World*
  8. Stand Amazed in His Presence
  9. In Christ Alone
  10. Christmas Carols:
  11. Lent:



Hymn Cycle 6

  1. And Can it Be
  2. Great is Thy Faithfulness
  3. Blessed Assurance
  4. Rock of Ages & I Love you Lord*
  5. We Shall Behold Him
  6. Grace Greater Than All our Sin
  7. O Love that Will Not Let me Go
  8. Before the Throne of God Above
  9. Fairest Lord Jesus
  10. Christmas
  11. Lent   

No comments:

Post a Comment