Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Elizabeth's Three Births

photo of Baby #1, by Grace Images

My name is Elizabeth.  I am the mother of three children, all of whom were born through natural delivery.  Here is my story.

I want to start off by saying that even though I fully believe in natural child birth, this is my personal conviction.  And I know like it so many other things, that the Lord directs all of us differently.  My convictions are not everyone elses.  Let me put this disclaimer out there as well – natural birth started out as a challenge from my older sister who had already had 2 children with an epidural – it didn’t fully take, and she commented that there was NO way I could do it all natural.  Game on!

With our first child – I was adamant – no help in anyway.  At two weeks overdue, I tried to induce myself in every way I could read about.  Finally the night before I had to go to the hospital for induction, I tried Castor Oil.  A few hours later – CONTRACTIONS!!!  Praise Jesus!  She was on her way.  Little did I know that she would not come for another LONG 24 hours later.  I did it!  Our first born was delivered fully naturally!  With a HUGE help from dear hubby!


About 5 years later – we got pregnant again.  I had planned to go fully natural again.  I did it once, I could do it again.  When it got close to due date, I became an emotional wreck!  Who isn’t at that stage?  Convincing myself that our oldest was late for one reason or another, this child would be different.  I walked my tush off.  I took the labor prep juice.  I tried Castor Oil.  I did all I could do to make this baby come on time.  God had other plans for me and baby #2.  We decided to induce her at two weeks over.  Finally – we’ll get to meet her!  They broke my water, 4 hours later, nothing.  Started me on Pitocin – a few hours later, a few decent contractions.  A few hours after that – our beautiful little girl arrived!  My awesome hubby was right there with me, every step of the way.  What an awesome man I have married!  Whew – one more labor done.  But let me tell you – that pitocin was brutal!  They pumped it up as high as they could, and YOWZA!  Thankful God lets us Mammas forget some things.

Baby #2, by Grace Images


About 11 months after #2 was born, SURPRISE!!!  #3 was on his way!  So of course – natural again, right?  As the time got closer, all I could remember was the very end of labor with #2, and I started thinking that maybe I would consider an epidural this time, after all – I had paid my dues of natural birth twice now, these girls talking about how easy and fun labor was was sounding kinda nice!  But when it came down to it, I just kept thinking how I had done it 2x already, why not keep it up and do it again.
Due date came – and went.  At one week past due date we decided to go on and induce him – remembering how completely miserable I was with #2 at the end – I had waited for her to come and still had to induce.  So I might as well induce this guy – get him out and enjoy him, and start that recovery time.  So off to the hospital at 1 week late.  Water broken – a few contractions – but after 4 hours of not a lot going on – they started me on pitocin again.  I was exhausted and just was over it.  After only a couple of hours on pitocin, my doctor checked me and said if I felt the urge – go on an push!  WHAAATTT?!?!?!?!  She had to be kidding right?  It’s only been a little over two hours, the pitocin was only on level 4, and the graph was only peaking in the middle.  Sure enough a few good pushes and our little boy was here!  Praise Jesus!  He was as pink as he could be – not normal for me as the girls were quite purple and blue.  He was so healthy!  This birth was harder on me than the others though.  And the recovery was longer.  But over all I have had three pretty good births, and I am so glad I stuck with it!  I will add, I used a doula with all three.  TOTALLY worth the money to have her there!

baby #3, Grace Images

1 comment:

  1. Your children are beautiful! My momma had three of us natural, the fourth was a c-section. She encourages everyone to go naturally. My sister and me- we prefer epidurals. You are so right - everyone's different. But I respect you for not taking the easy road when you feel convicted to take the hard road. That really speaks volumes about you :)

    ReplyDelete