Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Some of My Favorite Green/Non-toxic/Natural Cosmetics

Almost a year ago a friend of mine posted a video about cosmetics from The Campaign for Safe Cosmetics and my life was changed. I was no longer ignorant about what I was putting on my skin or my baby's skin and I had to take action. I have since purged my home of my cosmetics and purchased new ones. Here are some of my favorites so far. Still searching for an acne line that works.

First, here is that video:


You can look up the safety of all your cosmetics at the Skin Deep Database by the Environmental Working Group.

I have always been a Clinique girl, with a short run with Mary Kay and Arbonne, but I am loving the bareMinerals makeup. Great coverage and natural! They have a great rating on EWG.











My first switch were baby products. Why are there toxins and carcinogens in baby products? I do not know! I love California Baby. They also have a great rating in the EWG skin deep database. You can find their products at Target.












Love Earth Mama Angel Baby...all of their products. They have cosmetics, teas, boob comfort for those early days of breastfeeding. This is one of my favorite products, their all natural nipple butter.











Boscia worked pretty well for my acne but not perfectly. It had great reviews though so maybe I just have crazy skin. You can get it at Sephora. Sephora has a "naturals" line although you still have to be careful because a lot of it isn't very natural.










I'm using Tarte chapstick/lipstick now which is also available at Sephora.













Do you know how toxic most deodorants are? This is one product you really need to think about buying natural. I am loving my Alba deodorant.












Toothpaste is another with a lot of artificial ingredients and dyes. I recently switched to Tom's of Maine for toothpaste and my teeth are clean, my breath is fresh, and my toothpaste is natural.











For shampoo, conditioner, and body wash I have recently switched to the Whole Foods generic brand, Whole Body. http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/products/whole-body.php

Next on the list: shave gel, and continue to look for an acne line.

I know it would be much more green and frugal of me to make a lot of this myself, but I am just not domestic at all (besides cooking, cleaning, and household chores that is). I hope to one day make a lot of homemade cosmetics but I am just not there yet. :) I hope some of these suggestions help you make the switch to a more natural bathroom of cosmetics. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment