Friday, March 18, 2011

The Miracle of Life, New Life, and the arrival of my Nephew


(facebook readers: check out the original post at Memphis Misfit Mama


My nephew was born last night at 2:03 am. (and by nephew I mean my best friend/like a sister's baby). It is a miracle that he is alive. (more on that later)


I started thinking about how life is a miracle. Conception is a miracle. With so many people that can't conceive and with so many people that conceive but don't carry full term and lose their babies, I am reminded that conception and life in the womb is truly a miracle, sustained by God alone. God is the Author and Sustainer of life. And not just the life of babies in the womb, but of your life and mine. Each breath is given to us by the Creator. He created us and He sustains us. The human body is so amazing and He is the one that causes our heart to beat and our lungs to breathe. He is the one who Sustains life. 


Also, new life in Christ is a miracle. God breathes His life giving Spirit into a dead stone cold heart and causes our heart to beat and move for Him. He makes us into new creations. (2 Corinthians 5:17). He gives us His Spirit and causes us to be born again. (John 3) God is the one who gives us new life in His Son, he is also the one who sustains this life in His Son. I would dare to say that new life in Christ is the biggest miracle of all. Before we know Christ, we are all dead in our sins. A dead person cannot do anything but be dead. Christ miraculously breathes His life into someone and gives them faith and true life, eternal life. What a miracle. 


Spring makes me think of life. It makes me think of little chicks and little bunnies and of new buds on the trees and of flowers blooming. After the dead of winter new life is so refreshing. Spring also reminds me that God brings new life to us. He gives life to us and makes our dead hearts alive in Him. 


My best friend was fortunate to have a spring baby. Now I am sure every spring she will not only think about new life in Christ or new life in creation, but also the new life that God has blessed her with this spring of 2011. And the life of my "nephew" is truly a miracle. After major complications, him having lost all oxygen, and an emergency C-section he is truly a miracle. It is truly a miracle that he is alive. New life is a miracle. Today I feel that more than ever. 


I had another friend that had major complications in her pregnancy and her little miracle didn't receive a long life in this world, but was welcomed to heaven after just an hour of life here. He too was and is a miracle that has brought so much glory to God. 


The life of my nephew and the life and death of my friend's baby both bring glory to God and show the goodness of God and His power to sustain life. Sometimes He sustains that life here, and sometimes He takes that life to heaven to sustain it there for all of eternity. 


Most of all, life in Christ is a miracle and anyone who is a new creation in Christ will be sustained by Him for all eternity. This brings hope during birth and during death, and every day in between. 


Welcome to the world Silas Cruse Edwards. You truly are a miracle. I pray you will be born again at a young age and experience new life in Christ. 






13 For you created my inmost being;
   you knit me together in my mother’s womb. 
14 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
   your works are wonderful,
   I know that full well. 
15 My frame was not hidden from you
   when I was made in the secret place,
   when I was woven together in the depths of the earth. 
16 Your eyes saw my unformed body;
   all the days ordained for me were written in your book
   before one of them came to be. 
17 How precious to me are your thoughts,[a] God!
   How vast is the sum of them! 
18 Were I to count them,
   they would outnumber the grains of sand—
   when I awake, I am still with you.


No comments:

Post a Comment