Monday, March 28, 2011

Sowing Seeds, Bearing Fruit (and Vegetables?)


We have been sowing seeds and growing seedlings in hopes that they will yield fruit and vegetables in due season. And you have to make sure that you have good, fertile soil or everything else is done in vain.  And when I say "we" I mean my husband. Like I said in a previous post, the garden has been his thing, but I am going to try to help out this summer and learn more about the joys of gardening. I love fresh veggies and fruit from our very own backyard, but it is a lot of work initially. 

It just so happened that last week I was studying about some gardening and agriculture parables in Matthew 13 of the Holy Bible. They mean even more to me now that I have some agricultural knowledge (well, more than I did in the past at least). So I thought I would share some thoughts I had while studying. 

First of all, I encourage you to go read Matthew 13 for yourself and ask the Lord to give you fresh insight into these parables before you read about the insight the Lord gave me. And please share with me your thoughts in the comment section. 

The Parable of the Sower
Thankfully, Jesus explains this one to us in verses 18-23 so we don't have to guess as to what he means when he tells this parable in verses 1-8. 

Some of my thoughts:
  • The good news goes out to many but not all hearts are regenerated, and the lives that are regenerated yield different amounts of fruit. 
  • 2 kinds of listeners: wise and foolish (cross references Matthew 7:15-19, 10:32-33) Those who bear good fruit and those who bear bad fruit. Those who confess Jesus and those who reject Jesus. 
  • only the last soil represents the heart of a believer because only the last soil bears fruit. The other 3 soils do not allow the seed to grow, or if they do, it quickly dies. (If you think of this parable from the perspective of a farmer you will see that only the soil that bears fruit if of any use to you)
  • the farmer would say that soil that does not give growth to the seed is bad and useless. 
  • The sower represents Jesus, but also can represent any of us that go out sowing seed. 
  • The seed represents the word of the kingdom. 
  • The first soil is rock and the seed can't even penetrate it. This is someone who hears the word, but their heart is too hard to even consider it. 
  • The second soil is someone who experiences a brief emotional high after hearing the gospel, but is not truly converted and has no root. This is someone who thought that life with Jesus seemed wonderful, but did not take the time to count the cost. Maybe this is someone who just wanted "their best life now" but didn't realize that there are hardships that come with following Jesus. Since this person didn't have a firm root they fell away when tribulation and trials came. 
  • The third soil is someone who hears the word and seems to be following Jesus for awhile, but does not want to give up the things of this world: love of money, materialism, etc. 
  • The last soil is a true believer. He hears the word, understands it, and bears fruit. Only good soil can bear fruit, as any farmer or gardener can attest to. 
  • Believers bear different yields of fruit. Some believers might be more radically committed to bearing fruit than others, or given different gifts and abilities from the Father. All fruit is pleasing to the Lord and brings God glory. 
Other thoughts:
  • Matthew 3:1-10 teaches that we are to bear fruit in keeping with repentance. Every tree that does not bear fruit is cut down and thrown into the lake of fire. 
  • Luke 6:43-45 teaches that no good tree bears bad fruit, and vice versa. Each tree is known by its fruit, just as true believers are known by their fruit. The good person out of the good treasure of his heart produces good, and vice versa. For out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks. (a thought: a good way to know what we treasure is by what we talk about)
  • John 15:1-8 To bear fruit we must abide in Jesus. Jesus is the vine and we are the branches. "Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing." Those that claim to be believers but bear no fruit prove to have false faith. You prove to be a disciple by bearing fruit. No fruit=no proof of discipleship. 
How God convicted me through this parable:
I care a lot about bearing fruit of ministry in my life. I care a lot about people hearing the gospel and believers being discipled. But I need to concentrate also on the fruits of the Spirit in my life as laid out in Galatians 5:22-23. Love, Joy, Peace, Patience, Kindness, Goodness, Faithfulness, Gentleness, and Self-control. 
I pray that my character would be more Christ-like and that I would bear the fruits of the Spirit more evidently in my life. 
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


For further study on this parable check out this sermon by John MacArthur

One final random question:
Why doesn't the Bible talk about bearing vegetables? Anyone know?

I would love to hear your thoughts and applications on this parable as well. Post comments here at Memphis Misfit Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment